The First Long Month

I have to admit, I wasn't prepared for how lonely the first trimester would be. You don't yet really feel pregnant, and (if you've chosen to wait until the end of the first trimester to announce) you don't have a lot of people to talk to about the pregnancy yet. There are cousins and friends who have been through this before, but we are making sure we make it through that first trimester before spilling the beans to everyone. Right now, it's a small circle who's in the know.

Sure, having a secret all to yourselves is nice. Sharing a special something between just you and your significant other is exciting. But here's the thing about secrets: you always want to tell just one more person. And then another. And then another.

To distract ourselves, we've found various ways to pass the time.

First, we take comfort from the few people who do know, who we can talk to about it. My mom, for example, took my first "bump" photo by a brick accent wall in their house, and we've thus started taking weekly pictures to track my still not quite visible progress.

I purchase another baby item online--the only baby item I've bought for myself since the Captain America baby shoes back in March. I now own a Captain America onesie ready for an announcement photo shoot this Halloween.


I download more pregnancy apps and read up on symptoms and sneak in more naps than I am used to.

Here's a few more highlights from pregnancy weeks 5, 6, and 7:

September 26: I am hungry like clockwork, every two hours. Baby mostly wants chicken, or any cooked protein, and water. I am also thirsty all the time for real water (usually I have to force myself to drink). Hubby greets me every day with, "How are my two favorite people?" Hubby's cousin sends us a thank you card for her recently received baby shower gifts and includes the prophetic phrase, "You're next!"

September 27: Everything smells so strong. It's even more noticeable now. Also, I am planning 300 different ways to announce the pregnancy online and in person to my grandfather this November when we go to visit him in Texas. I continue to brainstorm both boy and girl names.

September 30: The one thing Baby consistently wants to eat is rice bowls. I struggle to avoid leftovers (which could harbor bacteria if not reheated properly) and find rice bowls at Teriyaki Madness and the food court at the college where I work.

October 1: I wake up to a stye that makes my eye swell! It's not pregnancy related, but with all the acne I've been getting lately, it's just one more thing that makes my face hurt.

October 2: I am cranky because they are out of salted pretzels at the Target cafe and the smoothie place in the same parking lot is so understaffed that the line is backed up. I am stressed about upcoming presentations for my job, and my eye hurts. Hubby brings home salted pretzel bites and eye drops from the Target near his work.

October 3: Hubby has a dream that Baby is a boy. And that I name him "Foyer." He is appalled that I would name our child after a doorway. We spend the day texting back and forth about how Foyer misses you and Foyer must be fed!

October 6: I have morning sickness! Finally starting to feel pregnant. And...it's not fun. The queasiness lasts all day, only slightly better when I'm eating something. Thankfully, no vomit. We tell Hubby's sister the baby news and she is thrilled for us!

October 7: The morning sickness continues slightly worse, but I still don't vomit. Baby wants pasta and I am disappointed at a lunch restaurant that serves only sandwiches and breakfast foods (usually my favorite). Still, I end up eating most of Hubby's pancakes. In the evening, I create my first weird pregnancy concoction: white rice with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.

October 8: This milestone's a big one: first prenatal doctor appointment! Hubby is able to attend, and the doctor is so nice, patient, and thorough. After a quick exam, we get to ask all our questions, and the doctor then offers to try an ultrasound just to see if anything is visible yet. I was not expecting an ultrasound on the first visit and am thrilled! Can something be seen? Yes, there is something! A sac! A yolk! A tiny...something! Our first ever ultrasound, and Hubby is tearing up over seeing "a little bean" inside me. We call our parents to report the news. At work I let my boss in on the secret so she can know why I have so many doctor appointments coming up and prepare for my maternity leave in the summer. My all-day queasiness is gone for now, though I have some small pains around my left side and back that may be my uterus growing.

It's been 16 days since we first found out I was pregnant. It feels like it's been a month already! So we continue to wait, and I continue to "X" off each day on my calendar. Hubby tells me to pass this time by planning my baby announcements down to the last detail. If only he knew just how much I've already done this....





Our secret is hidden on a Children's Hospital donation heart at Farmer Boys.... 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts