Pregnant for the Holidays!




Christmas has come at last, and with it came holiday parties, feasting, and three relatives now who have rubbed my small but growing bump (I don't mind if it's relatives--it's strangers touching my belly where I draw the line). Being pregnant for the holidays is fun because not everyone gets to experience that, and there are many fun activities that can be incorporated for you and baby.

I bought myself a holiday-themed maternity shirt and went out to take baby's "first" picture with Santa at our local Ethel M's Chocolate Factory. I went shopping at the Downtown Summerlin outdoor mall (scoping out baby items in the midst of holiday shopping) and mailed baby-themed Christmas cards to our relatives ("Have yourself a merry LITTLE Christmas" they proclaimed, with a photo of Hubby stroking my belly next to me). There were also plenty of baby gifts to get me ready for baby's first Christmas on the outside next year.

Seeing the adorable newborn and months old baby cousins at Hubby's aunt's house made me want to meet my own baby even more. But even though I have to be patient for at least five more months, Baby gave me its own Christmas present--little flutters the past couple of weeks that I now know have to be movement inside me! It started out infrequently, and I tried to convince myself it wasn't just me being hopeful to feel Baby. After all, I've never been pregnant before. It could all just be normal pregnancy stretching or gas. But now that it's happened enough to become recognizable (and I was able to consult with Hubby's cousins who just had their babies), I can recognize when my baby moves!

It's still faint, but the best way I can describe it is like a tiny tickling from the inside--not enough to make me laugh, but almost like an itch you want to scratch but can't. Sometimes it feels like bubbles. I've heard others describe it as a popcorn feeling. But it truly is a little fluttering: quick, light, and delightful as it reminds me that Baby is still in there and doing okay.

My next reassurance came from a quick doctor's appointment the day after Christmas where I got hear Baby's heartbeat again (a sturdy 140 beats per minute). Now I just have to wait three more weeks for the anatomy scan ultrasound!

In the meantime, I can play with one of my favorite Christmas presents: a backdrop to be used for future newborn photoshoots!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts