Registry Daze


As a librarian, research is kinda my thing. Before making any major decision I like to know my options, plan ahead, and get some kind of data to support my reasoning (except, ironically, the decision to have a baby, which I made almost entirely based on emotions).

So, naturally, before embarking on the MOMentous task of putting together a baby registry (many family and friends have been asking!), I wanted to do as much research as I could.

The bad news is that there are so, so many decisions to make (Which items? Which brand? Will you co-sleep? Will you formula feed? Are you planning to have more kids after this one?). If you read my previous blog on wedding preparations, you might already realize that making decisions is not my strongest suit (just ask my husband about how I get when trying to pick a restaurant for dinner). I can often see the good and bad of both sides, and the fear of regret in making a "wrong" choice can be paralyzing. I often have to make last-minute adjustments to a choice in order to find happiness (just ask my husband how often I eat off of his dinner plate compared to mine).

The good news is that I have so many wonderfully supportive family and friends who have been through this before and were able to offer suggestions. I asked for advice on Facebook and then created a Word Document with each recommended item and brand, also adding other recommendations I read from blog posts, message boards, baby stores, friends' registries, and Facebook stalking the advice given to other friends who are pregnant (true story). I actually feel fairly confident that--after napping a little this weekend--I can put together a fairly decent, comprehensive registry to share with others, leaving off only the "big ticket items" (think stroller and car seat) to test out in person before adding them on (I've heard some great suggestions for these too, but ultimately want to make sure I can lift the chosen carseat myself, figure out how to fold the Rube Goldberg machine of a stroller, etc).

Overall, the one thing I've come to understand is that this journey is, and is going to be, a learning process. The following is a list of new things I've already learned while starting to create a registry:

  • You can never have too many diapers, wipes, or onesies. If you buy nothing else for Baby, buy these.
  • A "Pack 'n Play" and "Play Yard" are the same thing. A "Rock 'n Play" is not.
  • There are 25 million different brands of diaper cream. None of them will end up working for your baby.
  • A Boppy is actually a nursing pillow, and also you definitely need a Boppy.
  • You don't need a wipe warmer, except they do make diaper changes more easy so maybe you should get a wipe warmer.
  • There are strollers that cost $900.
  • Co-sleeping is not the same thing as bed sharing. Co-sleeping often involves a sidecar, which is not an alcoholic beverage.
  • Cribs need crib mattresses and crib sheets and crib mattress pads, but they should NOT have blankets, baby toys, or bumpers.
  • I am definitely going to need to learn how to swaddle.
  • Ultimately, every baby is different, and what works for one might not work for another, so don't worry too much about getting just the right thing ahead of time.
  • Also, let people help you: they love you and want to help.
  • It all sounds overwhelming, but don't doubt yourself and your abilities. You got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts