New Old Symptoms

Super pregnant! Hubby let me pose with his new Captain America shield
in the dress where three strangers asked about my pregnancy.

New old symptoms didn't really appear until after the baby shower
when my body finally allowed myself to feel pregnant.

As I get close to week 37 and almost "full term," I've noticed something: it's a bit like first trimester all over again!

For example, just when I began to feel like I could eat normally, I've now reached a point where I'm hungry all the time again!

The cravings for protein (meats and cheeses) are especially strong, as well as a continued craving for soda, which was noticeably absent the first trimester, but did come up a little bit in trimester 2.

Also familiar from trimester 2? The occasional tummy ache after eating, which could be caused by shrinking stomach space or hormones making my digestive system wonky, or any number of reasons. It doesn't happen all the time, but again, just when I felt like I could eat normally, tummy pains return! Or maybe these third trimester tummy pains are something else entirely--Baby getting ready to exit, perhaps?

Going back to trimester 1, I'm sad to say that there has also been a slight return in acne and styes. The acne isn't as bad as it was in the first trimester, thankfully, and even the styes that have come and gone have been smaller, quicker, and less painful. But the fact that they have returned is certainly reminiscent of pregnancy symptoms' past.

Finally, I've noticed that the extreme exhaustion has returned--i.e. meld into the couch time. I'm napping more again, and definitely feeling the fatigue more at work and in my day to day activities.

Of course, there is something quite new to this trimester that is a growing discomfort: my own movement in general. As much as I do stay positive, it is getting a little harder to move around in order to do things. It was already a bit of a challenge to get out of bed (or off the couch), and a bit of a challenge to bend over to pick things up off the floor. But now, it hurts! Try to roll over: pain. Try to reach down to put dishes in the dishwasher: pain. Climbing in and out of the car: pain. Not terrible pain, but certainly belly stretching kind.

With a doting husband, I don't have to worry about picking things up off the floor or loading the dishwasher anymore, but it's hard to avoid climbing in and out of the car or the bed. As much as I might want to spend these last three or so weeks sleeping, I still have at least two more weeks of scheduled work, and a list of final baby preparations outside of work:

Finish the thank you notes, purchase and set up the bassinet, finish the nursery, and final babyproofing, cleaning, and home maintenance required before Baby arrives.

I am proud to say I have at least finished the following tasks: packing the hospital bag, pre-washing the baby clothes, making the car seat installation appointment, and narrowing down pediatricians. Hubby got his TDAP vaccine as well, and I did try to sign up for an infant CPR class, though their next opening was after Baby's due date. Maybe that can wait until Baby arrives and we have a little down time (ha!).

Of course there will probably still be some cleaning and nesting to come. And while those might not be the most comfortable of tasks in my almost 37-week pregnant body, my new old symptoms remind me that I'm in the home stretch. I'm feeling fully pregnant again. And apparently looking that way too. Yesterday I wore a maternity dress and had three strangers comment on when the baby was due. Three in one day! Whereas before almost no one dared ask if I was pregnant (which, to be fair, is a good thing, as you never want to assume anything based on tummy size until you see a baby coming out!).

In other news, the royal baby was born to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle three days ago, so we're no longer pregnant at the same time! I was excited to hear they also had a boy, who they soon announced as Archie Harrison. Not a bad name, but not exactly inspiration for our own boy.

Mostly because we've maybe finally decided on a name of our own....

But announcing that will have to wait until the birth so we'll have the chance to meet our son and know for sure.

It's getting closer and closer now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts