Showered with Love


A LOT has happened in the past week with Baby. And by a lot, I mean, feeling hiccups, getting poked in the ribs, starting to feel more aches and pains, but especially, TWO amazing baby showers both in the same weekend!

My coworkers were giddy with excitement to throw me a Winnie the Pooh themed baby shower in our library building (they told me ahead of time they were "plotting") and it all came together in a perfect afternoon on Friday, April 26. Food included my favorite Capriotti's sandwich, The Bobbie (shredded turkey meat with cranberry sauce and stuffing, just like Thanksgiving dinner!), healthy salads, and a homemade strawberry filling cake! I couldn't believe how many gifts were set out on a separate table, including board books our library employees brought for starting baby's own library. But one of my favorite parts, I have to admit, was the shower games. The clothespin stealing game, "Don't Say Baby" (which my parents, who were also invited to the shower, excelled at) and the "Guess the Baby Food" game (where you had to taste unlabeled jars of baby food to determine what it was). Such a fun afternoon, and such thoughtfulness and generosity from all my coworkers who planned, executed, attended, or gave gifts.








Then the very next day, April 27, was our family baby shower! Hosted by my moms and aunts, the guest list also included my female cousins and my closest friends (almost all my bridesmaids) who are sisters to me! We also had a Winnie the Pooh theme (since I wanted Classic Pooh decor for the nursery) with baby boy touches (like pale blue balloons surrounding the Winnie the Pooh photo backdrop). Held in a spacious hotel suite, the Filipino food provided by my mother-in-law and aunts was so delicious. And the desserts were absolutely adorable! We also had shower games! My favorites included guessing which baby photo was the new mom and voting for cutest baby (my mom won!), as well as childhood trivia about the new mom and dad (we stumped quite a few people, but not Hubby's sister!). There was also matching Disney moms to Disney babies, trying to guess how big my belly was, and giving advice and predictions on Baby's birth date, name, and more. While I was a little worried about how all the elements would come together (we didn't get the hotel room as early as we had originally planned and the bakery we used messed up a couple of our cake orders), it actually all came together so wonderfully that my anxieties melted away the second I started greeting the first guests (and this is coming from an anxious introvert who can get uncomfortable at big parties). After a lovely round of opening presents, I got to take photos and just chat with my friends and family, catching up, cleaning up, and preparing to spend the night in the glorious King-size bed with Hubby when he arrived. I highly recommend a master bathroom with a shower that not only cascades from above, but shoots water out sideways!























A different kind of shower, but also glorious.

By Sunday morning I was exhausted, and it was like my body gave me permission to finally feel pregnant. I got aches. I got tired eyes and disappearing energy. But I was happy. What a week indeed!


Now, despite the continued exhaustion, I'll have to find a way to make myself sort through the gifts so I can put things away, pre-wash all the baby clothes, install our carseat, build our crib, purchase any final necessities, finish the nursery, choose a pediatrician, babyproof the house, get our car and home maintenance out of the way, get Hubby's TDAP vaccine, pack the hospital bag, take any final baby classes (Infant CPR? How to change a diaper?), and, of course, send all the thank you notes. Because I want all our family, friends, coworkers, connections--such wonderful, amazing, kind, and generous people in our lives--to know how much we truly cherish their thoughts, gifts, support, and love.

So what's next on the agenda for my final month of pregnancy (with just 32 days until my due date)? My hope is to first check off my to-do list, and then spend the rest of the month getting as much rest as I can--starting Saturday evening with a much needed and appreciated prenatal massage!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts