Then and Now

Boy have I grown! LOL. Despite showing earlier and feeling wider though,
I weigh about the same as I did around this time with Baby 1!

As I go through what may be my last ever pregnancy, I've started to notice the things that are both similar and different from my first. I thought it might be nice to document the experiences so I can remember both the "then" and the "now" of being pregnant even after it's all over.

A major difference that I've noticed between my first pregnancy and my second is the itching. Or lack of itching. I remember my entire body itching in the shower with Baby 1, likely from my body stretching in places it never had to stretch before! With Baby 2, it seems my body is used to it. I'm definitely stretching just as much (if not more) than last time, but never feel any need to scratch! I was also lucky that the stretching body didn't cause any major stretch marks last time, so I'm hopeful that continues this time too (and I'm using "belly oil" every night to help increase my chances).

A major relief this pregnancy is the lack of styes! With Baby 1 I literally had about three styes in my eyelids before even making it out of the first trimester! I distinctly remember having them in early October and early December for sure. This pregnancy (knock on wood), I haven't had a single stye! Maybe my immune system is stronger, or maybe I've learned not to touch my eyes as much, but I am super pleased with this development.

A major pain this pregnancy compared to the last one is a combination of nausea and fatigue. I had some nausea with Baby 1 that made me want to snack frequently. With Baby 2 the nausea was noticeably stronger. I still snacked all day long, but I noticed that the nausea only really went away during the day. When I first woke up, it was there. When I got ready for bed, it had returned. And, unlike with Baby 1, I actually threw up twice! Not terrible, of course (I know many versions of morning sickness can be much worse), but it definitely represented a change between then and now. Now about that fatigue...with Baby 1 I was definitely tired in my first trimester. I distinctly remember napping quite a bit, falling asleep more easily than I ever had before (usually quick naps was my husband's superpower, not mine). With this pregnancy, I have a little one at home, so I can't just nap any time. And it is harder nap even when I do have a few minutes free. So instead of feeling more sleepy, I just feel more physically exhausted. Like my mind is awake but my body wants to droop. That could, of course, have more to do with raising a toddler than being pregnant too.

And while this isn't exactly a pain, it's definitely annoying that I've noticed more frequent trips to the bathroom this time around. Even at only 16 weeks, it seems like I always have to pee!

The last thing I've started to notice lately is Baby 2's flutters. It's a distinct movement that I know is him and not just gas or my uterus expanding. Baby 1 gifted me with my first light flutters around Christmas time, about four months into the pregnancy. Baby 2 started a whole month earlier than that, and continues to move strongly almost every day! The movements aren't quite kicks yet, and they still can't be seen or felt by my husband, but it makes me feel more pregnant again now that the nausea reminder of pregnancy has gone away.

For now, there's not much else to report with Baby 2 as we just keep eagerly awaiting his next ultrasound. Baby 1 has been busy, however. He's started to do art projects with my inlaws and play piano with my parents. We were able to get him free early intervention services to help with his delayed speech. And we're working on moving him to his own room for sleeping on a floor mattress--made possible now that my husband and I have purchased a new mattress and can give him our old one.

I'll report any other major changes as they come. Each week will be another new milestone from our mattress delivery to the start of a new semester at my job. And, despite turning the big 3-5 at the end of the month, I'm really looking forward to my birthday week! It will begin with a family brunch takeout, a nice dinner with Hubby, a macaron cake, and then seeing Baby 2 in the ultrasound! I'll also probably watch a new Cinderella movie with my mom (hey, I'm surrounded by boys over here, so I have to be able to do something girly, right?). Since most days are fully dedicated to my children (as they should be), it will be nice to have a little time to celebrate who I am--a pregnant mom who loves food and photos and family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plans and Letting Go

Hashtag Mom Life

Week of Firsts